What do you do in case of a power outage for an extended period? Do you stop your operations and wait for power to come back? You do not have to do that when the lights go out. Having a dual fuel generator can greatly help you continue with your operations normally in cases of power outage. You can get your house warm, kitchen functioning as well as power your tools, appliances and other electrical devices.
If you can compare the cost of purchasing a dual fuel generator and the losses hat you incur when the lights go out, you will realize that having a generator will be very cost effective. You can effectively cover the losses when you do not have electricity if you equip your home with a dual fuel generator.
Best Dual Fuel Portable Generators Ultimately for Needs
Having a portable or home dual fuel generator provides you with power backup especially if the electricity is unreliable. By providing you with two types of fuel to use that is, gas and propane, you can get enough power to run your appliances and tools at a very great deal.
Before you purchase a dual fuel generator, it is important for you to know a few things that will help you make the right decision when you are choosing the best product. Here are some of the things that you should put in mind:
- Calculate the right power requirements
- Make sure that you know the type and number of outlets required
- Take safety precautions in mind like do not operate a generator in an area that is enclosed and do not keep any flammable or fuel material within five feet when the generator is in operation
There are so many portable and home generators that you can purchase, but the versatility you get from a dual fuel generator cannot be overlooked. Sometimes it becomes a problem when selecting a dual fuel generator because you do not know the wattage or other factors.
I’m here to enlighten you o the best products on the market as well as help you pick the best generator that will meet your needs. After going through this guide, you will find it simple to purchase a dual fuel generator that provides you with power whether outdoors or in your home.
I know you have found yourself on this site because you are looking for a reliable and versatile dual fuel generator. I’m going to take you through five best dual fuel generators that will be a great deal for power backup. I will also provide you with more information on dual fuel generators and why you need to have one. Basically, these are things that I have prepared for you in this guide.
- Why do you need a Dual Fuel Generator?
- Our concern about Power Outage
- Necessary of dual fuel generator while in campaign
- Why should you keep a home generator?
- Best Dual Fuel and Home Generators on Market
Comparison of My Favorite Top 5 Best Portable Home Generators
|Name||Westinghouse WH7500E||DuroMax XP4400E||WEN 56180||Champion Power 46539||Generac 6729 Guardian|
|Power Output||7500 Watts||3500 Watts||1800 Watts||3500 Watts||8000 Watts|
Why do you need a Dual Fuel Generator?
Most of the generators out there use gasoline as single fuel. Why then do you need to have a generator that can use more than one type of fuel? What are the benefits that you will get from owning a dual fuel generator?
To begin with, a dual fuel generator can use two types of fuel in a mixture at the same time. The generator cranks up on one type of fuel, and its built-in governor adds a secondary fuel source until an optimum mixture is achieved for efficient running.
For instance, a dual fuel generator can start by using diesel fuel then gradually add a mixture natural gas fuel. There many reasons why you need to purchase a dual fuel generator. Let’s cover some of the ways in which you will benefit from purchasing a dual fuel generator.
- Cost-Effectiveness In The Long Run: As compared to other traditional engines, dual fuel generators carry a higher price tag of up to 15-30% more. But with its ability to use more than one type of fuel, you end up spending less on fuel in the long run as compared to single fuel generators.
- Power Backup: A power outage is something that can happen at any time. You might not know the time when the power will get back. Therefore, having a backup power plan is very important. Dual fuel generators work well to help you get power to keep your operations running when there is no power.
- Fuel Efficiency: In most cases, you will find dual fuel systems using fuel in the ratio of 75% natural gas: 25% diesel fuel. If there is an increase in the engine load, the governor will add diesel ratio and readjust to the ratio of natural gas for optimum operating efficiency. However, not all systems use a mixture of diesel and natural gas. You can get other models that combine a mixture of gasoline and ethanol.
Our concern about Power Outage
Almost everything in our lives depends on electrical power. This starts from our work, healthcare, economy, livelihood and leisure among other things. Going without power for even a few minutes is a huge setback, and it can lead to huge losses.
What do you do when there is a power outage? It is important to raise awareness about the power outage and learn all the things that you need to know. Before we get to that, let us first start by finding out what are the major causes of power outage.
Well, there are several things that cause loss of power. If you know some of the causes of power failure, it will be easy for you to protect your business from devastating outcomes. The following are some of the common reasons for power outage.
- Natural Causes: We have no control over natural causes of power outage. According to research carried out, almost 70% of power outage in the United States is caused by weather related issues. Things like lightning, snow, ice, rain, dust and wind can cause power outage. It is difficult to prevent these natural causes to safeguard the electrical systems.
- Short Circuits: This is also another common cause of power failure. This is a situation that takes place when electrical current travels in a different path from the intended one. This leads to an excessive electric current that causes circuit damages, explosion or fire.
- Brownouts: This is a situation when there is a drop in the electrical power supply. As a result, there is a low voltage that makes the lights dim. In as much as brownouts are not total power failure, they can greatly affect the functioning of your electrical equipment.
- Blackouts: This means a total loss of power in a certain geographical area. This is a severe power outage that can affect your operations if you do not have power backup. Depending on the cause of blackout, restoring the power is a complex activity because some repairs might be required based on the configurations of the particular area that is affected.
Now that you know some of the major causes of power outage, it is important to know about power outage awareness and what you are supposed to do when power goes out.
If you are well prepared, a power outage will not inconvenience you. Follow the following checklist so that it will be easy to prepare your family and stay safe and comfortable when power goes out.
What to do when there is Power Outage
Inspect your fuse box to find out if there is a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker. In most cases, you might find power outage limited to your home.
If you find out that you need to replace the fuse or the circuit breaker, it is important to turn off all large appliances or unplug them from the power source to avoid damaging the electrical system.
- Check out to find if your neighbors have power
- You also need to call your electrical company and inform them about power outage.
- It is not advisable to use a barbecue, camp stove, propane or kerosene heaters indoors because of the deadly odorless carbon monoxide
- Using candles can be a fire hazard. It is recommended to use a flashlight
When the power goes out, it is crucial to ensure that the doors of your freezer and refrigerator stay closed to keep the food cold for longer. If the power is out for less than two hours, it is safe to consume the food in your refrigerator.
In cases of a freezer, if it has half full foods, it can hold them for up to 24 hours. If the freezer is full, the food is safe for up to 48 hours. You need to avoid opening the door as much as possible.
You should store things like pack milk, meat, daily products, fish, eggs, gravy and other things that spoil with ease in a cooler that is surrounded by ice.
In cases where storm has caused the power outage, it is not advisable to keep your items cold by placing them in snow. Frozen foods have the tendency of thawing when exposed to sun’s rays even when the temperatures are cold. Additionally, refrigerated foods can become warm and give room for the development of bacteria.
When there is no power, it is very difficult to use the water purification systems. Follow the following rules for cooking, drinking, and your personal hygiene.
Avoid using water that is contaminated to clean your dishes, wash clothes, prepare food, brushing teeth, making ice or preparing baby formula.
If you need to kill parasites and harmful bacteria, the best way you can do it is through boiling the water. Boiling water kills all organisms hence making it safe for drinking, cooking and other applications.
Alternatively, you can treat the water with chlorine tablets, iodine tablets or unscented household chlorine bleach. If you are using chlorine or iodine tablets, it is important to follow the directions that come with the tablets. For household chlorine bleach, you need to add 1/8 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water.
After an Outage
- You need to know that there will be monetary power fluctuations when the power is finally restored
- Check your appliances such as the freezer or the refrigerator to ensure that they have power
- Ensure that you reset your clocks, alarms and automatic timers
- Restock your emergency kit with the items that you might have used
Necessity of Dual Fuel Generator while in Camping
Dual fuel generators are not only designed to provide power backup at home. They are also very important for outdoor enthusiasts who love camping. I love camping, and I can’t figure out the whole experience without listening to music. Anytime that I go out for camping with my family, friends or workmates, I cannot leave my portable generator.
Regardless of where you are taking your camping, you do not have to get it rough. There is still an option of having fun outdoors at your comfort and in a style that you want. By having the best dual fuel generator for camping that provides a casual camper with the required watts and a quiet operation, there is nothing that will prevent you from having an enjoyable experience outdoors.
Having a generator when camping is very important. This means that you can power appliances such as television, microwave, toaster, coffee maker among others. Not to mention recharging your deep cycle battery packs. If you also need to light up your tent, having a portable generator will greatly help you keep your tent warm and illuminated.
Other benefits that you will get when using a generator for camping include the following:
- Cooling your tent with a fan
- Blend smoothie for afternoon snack
- Come up with an outdoor movie theater
- Keep away mosquitoes with the use of an electric bug zapper
- Cooking meals in a slow cooker
- Decorating your camping site with festive outdoor lights
Before you indulge in purchasing a dual fuel generator for camping, there are a few things that you should consider so that you can land on a product that best suits your needs. Check out this simple buying guide for a camping generator.
- Noise Level: The best generator for camping should be quiet. You need to consider the level of noise when you are picking a camping generator. After all, you do not want to inconvenience other campers with noise coming from your generator. Look for a generator that is quiet because you will place it near your campsite of RV so the level of noise should be minimum.
- Portability: This is pretty obvious. You do not want a generator that is heavy such that it will give you a hard time when you want to move it from one campsite to the other. A camping generator should be small, compact and highly portable to make it ideal for camping.
- Runtime: How many hours do you want your generator to provide you with power? The best camping generators should provide you with a run time of up to 8 hours. When the tank is full, the unit should provide you with enough power to take you throughout the night. After all, do you want to wake up in the middle of the night to add fuel then get back to sleep?
- Durability And Reliability: When you are purchasing a dual fuel generator for camping, you don’t want a product that you will use just for a single trip. The generator should be highly durable so that you can use it any time that you want to go for camping. It should also be very reliable such that you do not spend the entire camping time repairing your generator. Don’t settle for a cheap generator, otherwise, you will end up waking up at night to repair the generator so that it can work.
- Brands: You need to be selective when purchasing a dual fuel generator for camping. Not all the brands will provide you with products that will meet your camping needs. Some of the most recognized brands that provide the best recreational generators include Honda, Generac, Briggs and Stratton and Yamaha just to mention a few.
Why should you keep a Home Generator
The United States is known for an increase in severe storms every year. As a result, there is power loss that ends up affecting many businesses and homes. Do you want to keep your work going on and your appliances running at home? Of course yes! This is why you need to purchase a home generator to provide you with power backup.
Many years back, our ancestors lived without electricity or heat. Things have greatly changed such that having a generator is not a luxury. After all, nobody wants the inconveniences caused by power outage when there is a storm or the transformer blows.
You might be wondering, do I really need a home generator? Yes, you do. The advantages that come with a home generator cannot be understated. Here are some of the ways in which a home generator will make your work easier and provide you with so many other benefits.
- Shelters And Protects You From Storm: Standby generators that are permanently installed in your home play a huge role in monitoring the connection utility power. They can detect loss of power then fire up as compared to portable generators that require you to go outside and start them manually regardless of the condition out there.
- Longer Run Time: If you compare the performance of a home generator and a portable generator, you will find out that a home generator provides you with a longer run time. This is because they are connected directly to your fuel source, liquid propane or natural gas hence giving a longer run time. They also produce enough electricity to provide your home with a reliable power backup.
- Fresh Food For Long: Imagine a situation when you have food in your refrigerator, and then power outage occurs. What do you do to keep the food fresh? If you do not have a generator to provide you with power backup, your food might end up spoiling. Having a home generator provides you with fresh food for long hence saving you more money.
- Reduce Business Runtime: If you have a business that heavily depends on electricity to power servers, refrigerators, and other appliances, the thought of going without electricity even for a second can lead to huge losses. You can save your business by purchasing a generator that will provide enough power to Keep Your Appliances Running.
- Calm Your Kids: Kids are afraid of being in the dark. If you have the best home generator, you can help them stay calm in situations of power outage because the generator will ensure that the lights are on; hence you have nothing to worry about.
- Peace Of Mind: Because home generators are wired in your home’s electrical system, you do not need any setup, and they also have minimal maintenance. Once it is installed by a professional, homeowners are confident knowing that they have a powerful machine that protects their home and family.
- Keeps Critical And Luxury Appliances Running: You don’t have to stay a boring life simply because you have no electricity. If you have a home generator, life will still be normal, and you can enjoy watching television or using Jacuzzi tubs. Generators also provide you with lighting as well as powering critical appliances hence reducing stress in your home.
Now that you know some of the benefits that you will get from buying a home generator, the next big thing that you should think about is looking for a perfect generator for your home. What do you need to know when looking for a home generator? This is a question that many homeowners find difficult to answer. Generators are available in different sizes, and they also come with different budgets. You can get portable generators as well as large models that are permanently installed in your home.
A small portable generator is a perfect solution when you are looking for an extension cord to power few lights and your refrigerator so that food doesn’t spoil. These generators are fully automatic because they can be attached to your home wiring system. On the other hand, large generators start for about 15 seconds when the power goes out. They also shut down automatically when power is back.
Again, you should also consider the wattage when you are buying a home generator. The amount of wattage that is put highly determines the number of lights and the appliances that can run at once. If you want power to cover for basics, about 5000 watts will be okay.
Another important thing that you should have in mind when buying a home generator is the outlets and switches in your house so that it will be easy to know the right circuit on the service panel that powers what.
Last but not certainly the least, you should make a decision on the type of generator that you want in your home. Do you need a stationary or a portable generator? Both models come with their advantages and disadvantages, so it is up to you to weigh out your options and look for a generator that suits your needs best.
Now you have all the necessary information that you need in case of power outage, and it will be very easy for you to look for an alternative source of power. If you are well prepared, it will be very easy for you and your family to get through a hard time without electricity.
The best thing that you can do to get power backup is purchasing a dual fuel generator. Such machines will help you avoid the adverse effects that come along with power outage.
I know it can be a challenging task to look for a perfect home generator. I have researched the market for you and reviewed top five best generators that you can get to provide you with power backup. Check out their reviews, and I believe you will get a convenient home or portable generator to suit your power requirements.
Best Dual Fuel and Home Generators on Market We Researched for You
We live in a world where electricity powers everything that we use. Starting from kitchen appliances, computers, smartphones and many other devices that use electricity. The thought of going without power even for a few minutes can be very frustrating. Here is a table comparison of best portable dual fuel home generators.
|Product Image||Name||Power Output||Editor Rating||Price|
|Champion Power 76533||3800 Watts||4.7/5.0|
|Westinghouse WH7500E||7500 Watts||4.9/5.0|
|Champion Power 100165||7500 Watts||4.6/5.0|
|Smarter Tools GP7500DEB||6200 Watts||4.5/5.0|
|Champion Power 46539||3500 Watts||4.5/5.0|
|Duromax XP4850EH||3850 Watts||4.5/5.0|
|Powerland PD3G10000E||8000 Watts||4.4/5.0|
|Champion Power Equipment 75537i||2800 Watts||4.4/5.0|
|DuroMax XP10000EH||8000 Watts||4.2/5.0|
|DuroMax XP4400E||3500 Watts||4.7/5.0|
Luckily, when there is power outage, generators provide an alternative power source that you can depend on to carry your daily operations. Not only do you need to get a generator but the best dual fuel generator that provides you with the convenience of using more than one fuel type.
In most cases, dual fuel generators use propane or gasoline which provides you with plenty of power for cooking and powering other devices at home.
Different types of dual fuel generators are available on the market. Choosing a perfect generator for your home can be an overwhelming activity bearing in mind the different types of products that are available on the market.
If you want to get a reliable power source when there is power outage, I have compiled a list of best dual fuel and home generators that will keep your kitchen cooking or your house home when there is no electricity.
The generators that I have reviewed here provide you with enough power while consuming low fuel. Check out their reviews, and hopefully, you will find a perfect dual fuel generator for your home.
Westinghouse WH7500E Generator Review
Westinghouse WH7500E Gas Powered Generator
Westinghouse WH7500E is one of the best portable generator with high customer satisfaction.
In this case, the Westinghouse WH7500E meets and surpasses the above specifications. With this generator, you will always be ready for remote projects or when there is power outage.
As compared to other generators on the market, this unit is efficient, powerful, reliable and very safe. With 7,500 running watts and 9,000 starting watts, the generator has the right power capacity to power any household device when there is power outage.
Another amazing aspect that I love in this generator and its runtime. It has the best runtime that will save you during emergency situations. Other generators have a runtime of 8-10 hours at half load while this model provides you with a runtime of 12-13 hours at half load. Isn’t this incredible?
Most people do not like starting a generator by hand cracking large engines. This unit is very easy to start because it is equipped with an electric start, but it also comes with a manual start for backup.
You want to enjoy a convenient source of power without noise. The generator is designed with an oversized noise reduction pulse flo muffler that is rated to produce 71 decibels of sound. This is impressive as compared to other generators on the market.
When it comes to the size and portability, this generator will impress you. It is highly portable and compact, so you will not have trouble carrying it from place to place. For easy transportation, the generator features a nice wheel kit and collapsible wheelbarrow type handles that offer easy rolling from place to place.
For its price, this generator provides you with around 8.1 running watts of electricity while most conventional gas generators offer between 5.5-10 watts of electricity. This means that the generator gives back the value for your money while still providing you with quality and efficient services.
Champion Power 46539 Generator Review
Champion 46539 Portable Generator
Champion 46539 is one of best portable generator with volt guard feature.
This generator is perfect for outdoor activities such as campgrounds, construction sites, and RVs. It is an incredible power backup supply that will help you continue with your operations even when there is no electricity.
This portable generator has a power output of 4000 watts with a steady and reliable output rating of 3500 watts. The generator is very safe to use because it complies with the EPA carburetor standards and the environmental rules that apply to California state.
The unit comes with a wireless startup remote that can work from a distance of up to 80 feet. This remote uses a battery that comes included when buying the product.
Another notable feature of the generator is the three distinct types of outlets that it has which include a 120-volt duplex outlet, 120-volt twist lock, and RV receptacle. In addition, the generator comes with overload protection, low oil sensor and an intelli-gauge apparatus that provides you with information about voltage, operating hours and Hertz at a glance.
This unit has a tank that can hold 3.8 gallons providing you with a run time of up to 12 hours on a half load. This means that it uses about 1/3 gallons of gas per hour.
When it comes to the noise level, you will be impressed with this unit. It features a heavy duty open steel frame, and it has secure motor mounts that ensure the vibrations are minimum. The noise level is not very bad, and you can consider this unit as a quiet generator. Even after starting the generator, you do not need to use earplug, and you also don’t have to shout loud to be heard when it is operating.
DuroMax XP4400E Generator Review
DuroMax XP4400E Portable Generator
DuroMax XP4400E is one of best portable generator with outstanding feature.
The best thing that you can do to provide you with peace of mind even when there is no electricity is looking for a perfect dual fuel generator for your home.
At times you might not know the qualities to look for when you are purchasing a generator. In this case, I’m providing you with one of the best generator on the market that is affordable and gives you a great value.
Get the DuroMax XP4400E Generator and you can carry out your operations normally even when there is no power.
The unit provides you with 4400-watt surge and 3500 watts continuous. This is enough power to cover the surge requirements of different appliances or tools that you need to power. For instance, your refrigerator will surge at 2200 watts and then run at 700 watts, but this can differ depending on the model or the manufacturer.
The generator features 4-gallon tank, and at 50% load, you can achieve a runtime of up to 8 hours on a full tank which is relatively long enough.
I also love the electric key start that makes it a simple task to start the generator. You only need to turn the key, and it will run just like a car. It also comes with a battery that is included in the package. If the battery is dead, you have the option of using a pull starter.
Sometimes the fuel may run low without you knowing. To prevent your machine from getting damaged, the generator features an automatic low-oil shutoff.
The unit has multiple outlets which include two 120V, 3 amp, prong outlets, one 12V, 10 amp utility outlet and one 120/240V, 30-amp twist lock that allows you to power different appliances.
This generator has a noise rating of 69dBA that is fairly standard for quiet operation, credits to the super-quiet muffler. The motor is also encased by a heavy duty steel frame roll cage to provide a smooth and quiet operation.
Generac 6729 Guardian Home Generator Review
Generac 6729 Guardian Series
Generac is one of the Best-in-class power quality with less than 5% total harmonic distortion meaning a clean
The generator brags of true power technology that provides a smooth and reliable operation even for your sensitive appliances and electronics. The generator is easy to use with two-line LCD text display and color corded backlit buttons.
The generator has also been rated to operate in areas that have low natural gas pressure. The unit can work with natural gas pressure of only 3.5 inches of water column.
The generator is very easy to install. With its smart switch, composite mounting pad and re-engineered connection points, you do not need a poured concrete base when installing the unit.
The generator runs on natural gas or liquid propane and provides you with a hand-free operation, so you do not need manual starting, fueling or extension cords.
If you are worried about its construction, worry no more because the generator is designed with a durable construction. It brags of all-weather steel enclosure that makes it sturdy. The steel is galvanized so that it can withstand any weather condition. The unit also can withstand up to 150 mph winds.
When it comes to its operation, expect a smooth and quiet operation. The unit passes the quiet test, and you can program it to run weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.
For its price, the generator provides you with more than you can expect. You can also take advantage of the mobile link cellular remote monitoring system to check the condition of your generator on your computer or smartphone wherever you are. However, you need to purchase it separately.
Customers who have used this generator are impressed with its performance and the top features that are included. This is an indication that the generator works well and it is highly reliable. You can get this generator, and you will always be at peace when there is no electricity.
Briggs & Stratton 30469 Generator Review
Briggs & Stratton 30469 Generator
High power and durability offered by it and available at $704 only thus making it the best home generator under $1000
Do not let power outages ruin your life again. With this portable unit, you can take power to the required place from garages to other outdoor activities that need power.
The generator has a 7-gallon tank capacity that can provide you with up to12 hours of continuous power under half load. It also provides 7500 watts of surge power.
By just looking at the generator, you might think that it is bulky, but this is not the case. The unit is designed with 10-inch tires that make it easy to the car around. It has a portable design that makes it perfect for outdoor activities.
The generator is designed with a multi-featured control panel that includes four 120-volt household outlet and one 120/240-volt 30 amp locking outlet that is useful for powering your home or other recreation activities. The two outlets are designed with rubber outlet covers alongside with a circuit-breaker protection with just a quick reset button.
Just like other engines from Briggs & Stratton, this unit also features a long life high-performance engine with great fuel efficiency when you are using this generator. The engine provides enough power to keep life going, and it also provides a smooth and longer engine life.
Another top feature of the generator that we cannot overlook is the safety features. To avoid damaging the unit, it features a low-oil pressure shutdown that turns the machine off when the oil is down.
With regards to the customer reviews provided on this generator, you can clearly see that this is a product with a high degree of customer satisfaction. It works as advertised to help you find an alternative solution for power outage.
We have experienced power outage at one point or the other, right? Does it mean your life will stop simply because there is no electricity? Of course not! Dual fuel generators and home generators will greatly save you in the event when there is power outage. You can keep your house warm and continue with other operations if you get the best generator.
Most homeowners find it a tough job to select a perfect generator to suit their needs. How do you even know the right wattage that you need? For you to determine the total wattage that you need, you should consider the list of tools, appliances and electrical devices you need to run when there is no power.
A dual fuel generator will provide many benefits to give you the required power to keep your tools and appliances running. The best thing with these generators is that you can use more than one fuel type. They allow you to use gasoline or propane to provide power for your entire home.
Having gone through this comprehensive guide, I know there is a lot of information that you need to digest. I have given you everything that you need to know about power outage, why you need to have a home generator and some of the most recommendable dual fuel generators on the market and much more. With all these details, I believe you can now choose a perfect dual fuel generator that will save you in the case of power outage.
If you also need to purchase the best dual fuel generator and do not know where to start, I have compiled a list of top quality dual fuel generators that you can rely on for power. If you need a portable model or one that you can install in your home, you can go through the above reviews and find the best generator. With any of the above generators, you will not have any worries in case of power outage. They come with incredible features, and they are also very easy to use.